Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Why We'll Never Date - @whatshesaidgoes

Let's clear it up. @whatshesaidgoes and I will never date. People ask. People assume. I'm pretty sure most of you think hurry up already and get it over with. I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but it's not going to happen.

It's not like the conversation hasn't come up between us. Usually it's always after someone makes a comment about how we fight like a married couple - it is true, we do. Even after I dumped one of my ex's and in a drunken state agreed to breakfast with both her and @whatshesaidgoes (not what you're thinking, but I wish the night before breakfast with both went that way too) the waitress mistook @whatshesaidgoes and I as the couple.

But it's a little more complicated than that. Now, don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her. Even though it seems like an eternity, we have only known one another for about four years. We work close to one another, so we see one another throughout the week. We live close by, so she always makes it a point to drop in. In fact, if we did enter some kind of union it would work quite well.


Yes, I'll admit it.

There are very few secrets between us. There is that comfort that exists where I don't really care what I say around her. Hell, half the time I don't care if I'm clothed around her or not. She's needy and I, even though I won't always admit it, am a pushover at times. She gets what she wants and I don't (always) mind doing it. We've hit that point where, we will sit side by side and not say a word to one another, but nothing needs to be said.


So you're thinking, what's the problem?

There are a few things that I can't get into in this blog, which may or may not "out" one or both of us. What I can say when you're as close as we are, dating is most likely a bad idea. So here are the top 3 reasons why, in my opinion, @whatshesaidgoes and I won't date. 

1) We know too much about one another. I'm sure after years of hearing me talk about every girl I've been with and which girls I want to be with - some of which are friends of hers - it could create an air of discomfort. In a relationship, I'm slightly the jealous type. Knowing these things about her, may cause some tension. While I'm willing to give things up, and this includes people in my life who aren't close to me in order to be with someone - she isn't. What we know about one another may create jealousy that will create problems.

2) She needs to be entertained. Don't get me wrong, I like to go out and have fun, but at this stage in my life I'm very much the type to stay in more than go out. I love to party - and party hard - but I leave it to the weekends. While I'm content with going to work and coming home to relax during the week, I know for a fact that one major issue for her would be our differing needs of social interaction. While I'm sure she will say that I can stay home while she goes out because she likes her space, there will be times she will want me there. While I will concede at times, I always won't and she will feel neglected.

3) She has no intentions (or so she says) to settle down until 35. I'm not getting any younger. If I meet someone whom I enjoy being with and things progress to a point where I see a future with this person, I will want to settle down. I will want to start a family. Despite my other two reasons, which I'm sure compromise could be found, this is a deal breaker for me.


So all in all, we shall remain where we are. I'm sure she has great reasons against, in her upcoming post. 


But hey! There's always 45 and single. Kiddo, you me and a Justice of the Peace. Maybe then I'll get some action in this sexless marriage thing we have going on.

1 comment:

  1. i LITERALLY have this exact same situation with my bff, Kenny.

    known each other for about the same time period, we somehow got extremely close. no secrets. everyone thinks we've dated or will get married. neither are true.

    i do believe men and women CAN just be friends. sure, at some point one will wonder about the other, but in this case, we just know too much and we're the same person.

    we'd kill each other.

    ReplyDelete